Halloween movies and costumes should be the stuff of nightmares, not your candy shopping bill. This year I decided to skip the bags of chocolate (half of which seems to be consumed before the actual main event…) and opt instead for making homemade Halloween Candy Corn Rice Krispies Treats. This is a viable option for me this year because we are known to our neighbors, as we live on post and literally have our name on the door; if anyone has health or safety concerns, they can ask us and be rest assured that the goodies were baked in a clean kitchen with the best of intentions.
Planning Your Treats
If homemade treats are an option for you, this Candy Corn Rice Krispies Treat recipe is easy and yummy and perfect for Halloween. If candy corn is not to your taste, you can easily substitute with semi-sweet chocolates, M&Ms, etc. I flavor the batch with a variety of “fall” spices so this recipe is tasty even without other additions. Get your kids involved with the measuring and scooping, but be forewarned that the majority of the preparation occurs ON the stovetop.
Tips and Tricks
Before you shop for groceries and especially before you start cooking, read my other blog about the Mistakes to Avoid when Making Rice Krispies Treats. These tips and tricks will keep this a fun activity without all the headaches if you are a first-timer. You can even get your kids involved with the steps that do not involve heating ingredients on the stove. Kids especially love pouring and measuring ingredients, stirring in the food coloring, and forming the Rice Krispies Treats in the dish and pushing in the candy corn pieces.
Halloween Candy Corn Rice Krispies treats come in many shapes and varieties. You can make flat squares, colored orange or purple or left plain and decorated with candy corn pieces. Mold the Rice Krispies treats into shapes like pumpkins (i.e. a small circle) and place tiny pieces of sour apple straws on the tops for pumpkin stems. Push the treats into cake molds and let them set and then sprinkle edible glitter on top to emphasize the shape-contours. There are so many ways to make this a fun treat for trick-or-treaters or party guests.
There is still time to purchase Candy Corn Rice Krispies Treats ingredients at discounts online and save yourself a hunting trip at the stores, most of which have slim pickings at this point.
Some ingredients you may want to use include the following:
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 (10 oz) bag Jet Puffed mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups gourmet candy corn
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon all spice
- ⅛ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Baker's Joy cooking spray
- 9x13 glass baking dish
- large saucepan
- measuring cups and spoons
- plastic bags or tupperware
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- While the butter melts, spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with Baker's Joy cooking spray.
- Stir in the marshmallows, evenly distributing the butter. Stir frequently to avoid sticking or burning.
- When the marshmallows are nearly all melted, add in the spices and combine thoroughly.
- Pour in the Rice Krispies in small handfuls, about 1 ½ cups at a time, and stir to ensure even coverage of marshmallow fluff.
- Remove from heat and pour into the baking dish.
- Press down the treats evenly in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle candy corn on top and press into the surface of the Rice Krispies Treats so that they will stick when cooled. (TIP: you can also put candy corn in the bottom of the baking dish before you add the rice krispies treats to have extra fun).
- Cover with a plastic lid or aluminum foil and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Consume within two (2) days. Do not refrigerate. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.