Happy Cinco de Mayo! I like to celebrate this holiday with family and friends, and that means potluck! This weekend I prepared a delicious Chorizo Queso Dip for our neighborhood block party; it had just the right amount of spicy kick and the oozy, cheesy goodness was a hit!
Tonight, just for my family, I am preparing this delicious whole wheat chicken enchilada recipe. You can go all out with traditional ingredients, or opt for a slightly healthier route by substituting fat-free whole wheat tortillas and reduced sodium and low-fat sauce. These are super easy to make and delicious served with black beans and rice or guacamole. Yum!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped or diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 can Campbell's cream of chicken soup*
- 1-2 cups Sargento's sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 whole wheat tortillas*
- Spatula or Wood Spoon
- 9X13 Glass Pyrex
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- *For a health-conscious recipe alternative, substitute low-sodium/fat free cream of chicken soup and low-fat tortillas.
- Start with your raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can either cube the chicken or cut into fajita style strips, per your preference. Peel and prepare your yellow onion by chopping or dicing ½ the onion (refrigerate the remaining onion for future recipes). Mince 1 garlic clove.
- In a non-stick skillet, on medium heat, combine the chicken, onion and garlic until the chicken is cooked. Do not overcook the chicken! Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Stir.
- Once the chicken mixture is finished, pre-heat your oven to 375F.
- Pre-heat the tortillas to soften them up slightly. Stack them up on a microwave-safe plate and heat for about 15-20 seconds in the microwave.
- Next, spoon the chicken mixture into a tortilla and sprinkle cheddar on top. Roll up the tortilla and set it in your Pyrex dish. Fill and roll all 8 tortillas. Tip: it helps prevent unrolling if you tuck the top flap of the tortilla into the side of the rolled tortilla next to it (so slightly turn each new tortilla so that the edges are tucked in between).
- In a medium bowl, add the cream of chicken soup to the enchilada sauce and stir until combined.
- Pour the sauce over the rolled enchiladas. Be sure to get the edges and sides of the tortillas. Tip: I like to wiggle the tortillas rolls a bit so that the sauce goes between and under the enchiladas too.
- Cover the Pyrex dish with foil and put in a 375F oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the foil. Sprinkle cheddar cheese atop all the enchiladas and continue baking, uncovered, until the cheese topping melts (usually about 5-10 minutes).