Happy Cinco de Mayo! I live on a military post in a fabulous, tight-knit community. Every month or so, we come together in a neighborhood block party. There are usually anywhere from 30-50 people there, and everyone signs up in advance for a potluck item. This past weekend, our theme was Cinco de Mayo in honor of today. I made this Chorizo Queso Dip recipe in my slow cooker which nicely complimented my neighbors’ dishes of enchiladas, tacos, and bean salad.
The slow cooker sure makes things simpler and less stressful in the time leading up to a party; just plug it in and let it do its thing while you run errands and get ready! This recipe requires a little cooking, since you have to pre-cook the chorizo in a skillet first. But that can be done well in advance of your party time and added to the slow cooker later.
- 12 oz package of spicy chorizo sausage
- 1 can tomatoes, diced
- 1 can green chile peppers
- 1 package cream cheese (8 oz), cubed
- 1 package Velveeta® Original cheese (8 oz), cubed
- 1 non-stick skillet
- 1 spatula
- 1 slow cooker
- 1 knife and cutting board
- Pre-heat the slow cooker on the 'keep warm' setting.
- Pre-cook the chorizo in a skillet on medium heat. This will take about 5 minutes. Drain off the excess grease and pour chorizo into the slow cooker.
- Open and drain the cans of tomatoes and green chile peppers and add to the slow cooker.
- Cube the cream cheese and the Velveeta cheese and add in alternating handfuls to the slow cooker.
- Mix all the ingredients, cover the slow cooker, and cook on low temperature for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Tip: Usually grocery stores will have a special area dedicated to seasonal, holiday or specialty items. Check this area first for samples of chorizo, cheese, tomatoes, etc. for your recipe!