The holiday season is upon us, a time for gathering together, thankfulness, and expressions of friendship and love. We have been invited to a neighborhood Thanksgiving Day celebration and though each family will bring a dish to contribute to the potluck affair, I never like to enter a private home, for any occasion, without providing the host/hostess a small token of my appreciation. Even if a host/hostess does not prepare every dish, he/she still has opened their home and has probably spent hours shoving clutter into closets and cleaning house. A nice way to provide a personal gesture of appreciation, without breaking the bank, is to make a Fall Hostess Gift in a Jar Recipe. My favorite this time of year is Oatmeal Spice Cookie Mix. Read on for the recipe, decorating tips and photos.
- ¾ c. packed brown sugar
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- ¾ c. raisins*
- 2 c. rolled oats
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- *if raisins are not your preference, you can substitute with any other dried fruit (e.g. cranberries) or with a combination of dried fruits, or with chips (e.g. chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter) or with nuts.
- 1 qt. wide-mouth canning jar with lid and rim
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Small mixing bowl
- Paper towels
- Cotton fabric for decorating the jar (or ribbon, paint, etc. per your preference)
- Measure out the following ingredients and layer them in the canning jar. After each ingredient layer, pack the layer down, pressing firmly to ensure all ingredients will fit in the jar. After each layer is added and packed down, wipe the interior sides of the jar with a paper towel to remove any crumbs to ensure the ingredients appear nicely separated. Layer ingredients in the following order from bottom-up in the canning jar: ¾ c. packed brown sugar; ½ c. granulated sugar; ¾ c. raisins*; 2 c. rolled oats.
- For the final, top layer in the jar, combine the following ingredients in a bowl prior to adding them to the jar: 1 c. all purpose flour; 1 tsp. ground cinnamon; ½ tsp. ground nutmeg; 1 tsp. baking soda; ½ tsp. salt. Pack the layer down, pressing firmly, and wipe the inside rim of the jar to remove any crumbs.
- Place the jar lid on top, and add a pre-cut circle of cotton fabric in your desired pattern and then screw the jar rim on over the fabric and jar lid. The fabric looks best if it is cut large enough to overhang the first inch or two of the top of the jar in a "skirt" effect. If you so choose, you can skip adding the cotton fabric and instead add ribbon or twine to the jar neck. Add a label that says "Oatmeal Spice Cookie Mix". You can either use labels with pre-applied adhesive (Available online or in any craft store) that you can print or write on, or you can use a small card and attach the card to the ribbon you secured around the jar neck.
- When you give the gift, be sure to include, either separately or attached to the jar, the following instructions for preparing the mix for baking.